Calibre is a free e-books library program to manage your readings. It allows not only organizing of books into different categories, but also converting their format, downloading new ones, and syncing your device with your computer library. In other words, you could say Calibre is to e-books what iTunes is to music.
We can say Calibre is to ebooks what iTunes is to music
Calibre can even download news from certain webpages or RSS feeds and convert them into e-book content. This can be done with online newspapers like The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Economist or The Guardian. As well as that, Calibre has a content server that provides online access to your collection no matter which computer you are using. This server is compatible with smartphones too.
How does it work?
When it comes to library management, Calibre can sort the books by Title, Author, Date Published, Date Added, Series, Size or Rating, among others. In addition, it is able to search for extra metadata such as tags, to categorize your collection, or comments. You can also take advantage of the Advanced Search. Regarding conversion capabilities, Calibre supports a wide variety of formats and always respects formatting to obtain a readable and visually attractive output. It can rescale font sizes or detect the book's structure.
Syncing your device with Calibre is very simple. In fact, you won’t have to worry about formatting. If a book has several formats available, Calibre will choose the best one to upload it in to the e-reader. If none of the formats are compatible with the device, the program will automatically convert the e-book to a suitable one before sending it.
Calibre has keyboard shortcuts to offer a faster experience when it comes to performing the most important functions. With the "D" key you can send the books you have selected to the device you previously connected to the computer. Conversion can be started by pressing "C" key; and if you want to read the book on your PC, then press "V".
Calibre 2.70 Features
The unique features of Calibre are:
- Different possibilities for organizing books: title, author, series, date of publication, etc.
- Support for different e-reader devices and synchronization between devices and Calibre’s collection
- Built-in viewer
- Possibility of downloading extra things for your books, such as covers
- Support for extra searchable metadata like tags or comments, and an Advanced Search function
- Possibility of downloading news from webpages or RSS as e-book content
- Content online server gives access to e-books collection from any computer
- Regular and automatic updates
- Keyboard shortcuts to perform the main actions
- Supports a great range of formats, including LRF, EPUB, HTML, MOBI, LIT, PRC, AZQ, TPZ, AZW1,TXT, RTF, SNB, PDF, CBZ, CBC, CBR, ZIP and RAR
If you want more information about Calibre before you download it, feel free to visit the developers’ site.
The minimum system requirements to correctly download and install Calibre on your computer are:
- Operating system: Windows XP or newer
- Processor: Pentium 4 1.8GHz or Athlon XP 1700+
- RAM memory: 1GB
- HDD: 1.5 GB of free space available