Reason is comprehensive and complex software, specially designed for professionals in music production. Developed by Propellerhead Software, this software has been recognized by several audio magazines and was recently awarded at 2013 MIA Awards with Music Software of the Year. Reason is a music maker and recording studio that works like a digital emulator of synthesizers with, signal processors, samplers, mixers, sequencers, MIDI controller, virtual instruments, etc. Reason also includes an audio editor that allows you to get the best and most accurate results.
If you are a self-taught user, this download will be a little complicated to handle at first until you get used to its operation, but you can check out the free tutorials on the official website. Reason will allow you to create, from the scratch and literally from writing to producing the final mix, your own music full of detail from plenty of instruments and sounds. To simplify the procedure, the Reason interface is divided into two principal functions: the rack with instruments and effects, and the sequencer and editing program.
How to use
Reason works as an audio studio with a large and expandable rack in which you can insert and route virtual devices by using modules, such as instruments, mixers and effects processors. These modules will generate the sounds, bases and loops with which to work. You can control these modules from the integrated MIDI sequencer, or even from others sequencers programs besides Reason. The instruments and effects that you can add are Synths, Beats and loops generators, samples for playing and tweaking, and external MIDI instrument among others.
Reason will allow you to create your own music full of detail from a wide range of instruments and sounds
The rack, the principal element of Reason, is double-sided. This means that when you connect and add a new module, the program makes the automatic connection to the rack, but, if you want to make specific connections, turn the rack on its side and you will be able to organize and plug in all the cables and connectors and combine modules you need.
Reason's sequencer is a kind of stave, placed where you write the music, but adding loops and patterns working with the rack, writing notes with the mouse, or recording a sampler with an instrument from a MIDI controller. The sequencer is also an audio editor and you can visualize the music in a waveform or as a special stave. Reason's rack and sequencer contain a large number of advanced tools for and music composition, including a metronome, an arpeggio generator, and a spectrum analyzer.
Simplifying, the set-up for this audio studio software consists of a mixer which is connected to effects generators and instruments (Reason's rack) and which, after changing some parameters such as dynamics, filters, EQ, etc., send the resultant product to the sequencer. In the sequencer, the user can add more tracks with different instruments, and with more modifications and additions the music (and lyrics) are edited to obtain a final work of art.
Reason 7.0.1 Features
These are some of the features of Reason 7:
- Easy automation. Draw volume curves or filter sweeps and the rack’s buttons, knobs and faders, will move in the manner and rhythm you’ve programmed
- Work in blocks. The sequencer functions with a music block structure so that the stave has modifiable portions that create an entity like a puzzle of tracks
- Easy audio editor includes basic functions such as quick erase and the opportunity to create loops or to delete only the parts that do not sound right
- Toning with Reason. With this feature, you will be able to select a portion of audio and modify a semitone, a note or an octave
- Great mixer. Connect the elements of your creation to Reason's mixer and modify parameters paving the way to its to final release
- Add effects and instruments. Plug-in modules to Reason's rack and combine them as you need. Change the cable connections in the back of the rack and create chaining effects
- Devices included on Reason 7:
- Mixers. Line Mixer 6:2 and Mixer 14:2
- Synths. Maelström Wavetable, Thor Polysonic or Subtractor Analog
- Drum Machines, Beats and Loops. Redrum Drum Computer, Dr. Octo Rex Loop Player or Kong Drum Designer
- Sampled instruments. NN-19 Sampler or NN-XT Advanced Sampler
- Various dynamic modifiers. MClass Stereo Imager, MClass Equalizer, MClas Maximizer, MClass Compressor, Scream 4 Distortion, among many others.
If you want more information about Reason before you download it, feel free to check out the developer’s website .
The minimum system requirements for a correct download and installation of Reason 7 are the following:
- Operating System: Windows 7
- Processor: Intel Pentium IV dual cores
- RAM Memory: 4 GB
- Audio interface with ASIO driver is required
- HDD Space: 3 GB of free space